Pages

Thursday, August 10, 2017

Gender diversity vs Intellectual diversity

As posted on FB on Aug 8th 2017:

I usually dont post my views on FB, just tired of all the hate posts on the google memo, so wanted to send this across:

Is it only me who feels Mr Damore’s firing was totally unnecessary and uncalled for? I read the 10 page memo twice desperately trying to convince myself that it was indeed dangerous and sexist as labeled online. I dont necessarily agree with all of his views but I did not find anything offensive as a woman. There are so many male bashing articles floating around, people would read, roll their eyes and move on. Had it been the other way around and a woman had been fired for writing one of those articles, all the hyper feminists would have been marching down the road.


The line which struck me the most in memo is “Feminism has made great progress in freeing women from the female gender role, but men are still very much tied to the male gender role.” People don’t think twice before making a ‘sexist’ comment like: ‘Be a man, chin up’, ‘Boys don’t cry’, ‘Boys have delayed social skills (been told to my son without batting an eyelid)’. One of my friends told me once ‘I feel sorry for you not having a girl’. I was totally flabbergasted by just how easily someone could make such an insensitive comment. I wondered if I had said the same thing in opposite context, I would have been flagged as a chauvinist forever. The pinnacle of hypocrisy is that after reading the memo, some women google employees stayed home as they felt emotionally incapable of coming to office thus actually proving the memo’s point!

I felt being a woman, sharing my perspective may give a food for thought for all the hyper feminist ideas floating around..well maybe!

No comments:

Post a Comment